Are you ready to glow this summer? If you want to achieve radiant skin that defies the sun, you need to follow these 9 summer skincare secrets! Whether you’re looking for tips on choosing the right sunscreen, hydrating your skin, keeping it cool and refreshing, nourishing it from within, wearing sweat-proof makeup, caring for it after sun exposure, exfoliating gently, repairing it overnight, or protecting it holistically, we’ve got you covered!
Read on to discover how to transform your skin and enjoy the summer without worries!
1. Defying the Sun
The first step to protect your skin from the sun is to choose the right sunscreen for skincare. Sunscreen helps prevent sunburns, premature aging, and skin cancer. But not all sunscreens are created equal. Here are some things to look for when buying sunscreen for a healthy skincare routine:
- SPF: SPF stands for sun protection factor, and it measures how well a sunscreen protects you from UVB rays, which cause sunburns. The higher the SPF, the more protection you get. Dermatologists recommend SPF 30 for everyday use and SPF 50 for outdoor activities.
- Broad-spectrum coverage: This means that the sunscreen protects you from both UVA and UVB rays. UVA rays can penetrate deeper into the skin and cause wrinkles, sagging, and dark spots. Look for sunscreens that say “broad-spectrum” or “UVA/UVB protection” on the label.
- Water resistance: The sunscreen stays on your skin even when you sweat or swim. However, water-resistant does not mean waterproof. You must reapply sunscreen every two hours or after swimming or sweating—lookout for sunscreens that say “water-resistant” on the label.
2. Hydration Heroes
Another important aspect of summer skincare is hydration. Hydration helps keep your skin plump, smooth, and glowing. It also helps prevent dryness, irritation, and inflammation. Here are some ways to hydrate your skin from the inside out:
- Hydrating mists: Hydrating mists are sprays that contain water and other ingredients that moisturize and refresh your skin. You can use them throughout the day to cool down and replenish your skin. Look for hydrating mists that contain ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, aloe vera, rose water, or cucumber.
- Lightweight serums: Serums are concentrated products that deliver active ingredients to your skin. They are usually thinner than creams and lotions and absorb faster into the skin. For summer skincare, choose lightweight serums that hydrate your skin without making it greasy or sticky. Look for serums containing hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, niacinamide, or green tea.
- Water-rich foods: Eating water-rich foods can also help hydrate your skin from within. Cucumbers, watermelon, strawberries, lettuce, celery, and tomatoes are examples of water-rich foods. These foods also contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber that benefit your skin and overall health.
3. Beat the Heat
Sometimes, even with sunscreen and hydration, your skin can feel hot and uncomfortable in the summer. That’s why you need some cooling tricks to soothe and calm your skin. Here are some ideas to try for your skincare:
- Cooling masks: Cooling masks are facial masks that have a cooling effect on your skin. They can help reduce redness, swelling, and inflammation caused by heat or sun exposure. You can buy ready-made cooling masks or make your own at home with natural ingredients like yogurt, honey, oatmeal, or mint.
- Refrigerating skincare products: Another simple way to cool down your skin is to store some products in the fridge. Applying them to your skin can make them feel more refreshing and soothing. You can refrigerate toners, mists, serums, eye creams, or gel-based moisturizers.
- Using facial mists with soothing ingredients: As mentioned earlier, facial mists can help hydrate your skin throughout the day. But they can also cool down your skin if they contain soothing ingredients like aloe vera or cucumber. These ingredients have anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties that calm your skin, reduce redness and enhances your skincare.
4. Nourishing from Within
Eating well is one of the best ways to achieve healthy and beautiful skin. Nutrient-rich foods can help your skin stay hydrated, elastic, and resilient. Some of the best foods for skincare include berries, nuts, seeds, avocados, leafy greens, salmon, and eggs.
These foods are rich in antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals that can protect your skin from free radicals, inflammation, and aging. Try to incorporate these foods into your daily diet and enjoy their benefits. Here are some delicious recipes that feature these skin-friendly ingredients:
- Berry smoothie: Blend 1 cup of mixed berries, 1 banana, 1/4 cup of yogurt, 1/4 cup of almond milk, and a handful of spinach. Enjoy this refreshing and antioxidant-packed drink for breakfast or as a snack.
- Avocado toast: Toast a slice of whole wheat bread and spread some mashed avocado on top. Sprinkle some salt, pepper, and lemon juice for extra flavor. Add sliced boiled eggs or smoked salmon for more protein and healthy fats.
- Kale salad: Toss some chopped kale with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic. Add roasted almonds, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, and feta cheese for crunch and sweetness. This salad contains fiber, vitamins, and healthy fats that nourish your skin.
5. Sweat-Proof Makeup
You should change your makeup skincare routine when the temperature rises for a better skincare routine, to avoid melting or smudging. Sweat-proof makeup products are designed to last longer and resist water and oil. They can also help your skin breathe better and prevent clogged pores. Here are some tips on how to choose sweat-proof makeup products for summer skincare:
- Primer: A primer can help your makeup stay in place and create a smooth base for your foundation. Look for an oil-free primer, mattifying and has SPF protection. Apply a thin primer layer to your face before applying other makeup products.
- Foundation: A foundation can even out your skin tone and cover imperfections. Look for a foundation that is lightweight, water-resistant, and has SPF protection. You can also opt for a tinted moisturizer or a BB cream for a more natural look. Apply a small amount of foundation with a sponge or a brush and blend well.
- Powder: A powder can help set your makeup and reduce shine. Look for a powder that is translucent, oil-absorbing, and has SPF protection. Apply a light dusting of powder all over your face with a fluffy brush or a powder puff.
- Blush: A blush can add color and warmth to your cheeks. Look for a blush that is cream-based or gel-based rather than powder-based. These formulas are more long-lasting and blend better with your skin. Apply blush on the apples of your cheeks and blend with your fingers or a sponge.
- Eyeshadow: An eyeshadow can enhance your eyes and make them pop. Look for an eyeshadow that is cream-based or liquid-based rather than powder-based. These formulas are more pigmented and crease-resistant. Apply a thin layer of eyeshadow on your eyelids with your fingers or a brush.
- Eyeliner: An eyeliner can define your eyes and make them stand out. Look for waterproof or smudge-proof eyeliner rather than regular or pencil-based. These formulas are more durable and won’t run or fade. Apply a thin line of eyeliner along your upper lash line with a steady hand or an angled brush.
- Mascara: A mascara can lengthen and volumize your lashes and make them look fuller. Look for a waterproof or tubing mascara rather than regular or washable. These formulas are more resistant to water and oil and won’t flake or smudge. Apply one or two coats of mascara on your upper and lower lashes with a zigzag motion.
6. Post-Sun TLC
The first thing you need to do after spending time in the sun is to soothe and hydrate your skin. Sun exposure can cause dryness, inflammation, and even sunburn. To prevent these problems, apply a generous amount of after-sun lotion or gel to your face and body for skincare.
Look for aloe vera, cucumber, or chamomile products for skincare, as they have cooling and healing properties. You can also make your soothing mask by mixing yogurt and honey and applying it to your face for 15 minutes. This will help calm and moisturize your skin.
7. Unveiling Exfoliation Secrets
Another way to keep your skin smooth and radiant in the summer is to exfoliate regularly. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells, dirt, and oil that can clog your pores and dull your complexion. It also improves blood circulation and helps your skin absorb skincare products better. However, you should be gentle with your skin and avoid harsh or abrasive exfoliators that can irritate or damage your skin. Instead, opt for natural exfoliators like sugar or coffee scrubs that are gentle and effective.
You can make your scrub by mixing sugar or coffee grounds with coconut or olive oil and gently massaging it onto your damp skin. Rinse off with warm water and pat dry.
8. Overnight Repair
While you sleep, your skin goes into repair mode and regenerates itself. That’s why it’s essential to use overnight skincare products that can boost this process and nourish your skin. Look for products containing hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, retinol, or peptides that can hydrate, brighten, firm, and smooth your skin.
You can also use overnight masks that provide extra moisture and protection to your skin. For night skincare, apply a thin layer of the cover to your clean face before bed and wash it off in the morning.
9. Holistic Sun Protection
Of course, the best way to do skincare in the summer is to prevent sun damage in the first place. That means using sunscreen daily, even when it’s cloudy or indoors. Choose a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 and broad-spectrum protection against UVA and UVB rays. Reapply every two hours or more often if you sweat or swim. But sunscreen is not enough. Wear protective clothing like hats, sunglasses, and long sleeves when possible.
Avoid staying in the sun during peak hours (10 am to 4 pm) when the sun is strongest. And remember to eat a balanced diet that includes antioxidants like berries, green tea, and dark chocolate that can help fight free radicals and protect your skin from within.
You’ve learned nine summer skincare secrets to help you achieve radiant skin all season long. Now it’s time to put them into practice and enjoy the benefits of healthy, glowing skin. Whether you’re defying the sun with the right sunscreen, hydrating your skin with nourishing products and foods, beating the heat with cooling tips.
Nourishing your skin from within with nutrient-rich recipes, choosing sweat-proof makeup for a flawless look, giving your skin some post-sun TLC with soothing remedies, unveiling exfoliation secrets for smooth skin, repairing your skin overnight with effective products, or practicing holistic sun protection with additional measures, you’re ready to face the summer with confidence and beauty. Remember to have fun and stay safe in the sun!